Saturday, August 18, 2012

So We're Weird.

I'm just going to put it out there.  Yep.  We're weird.  All of us.  Not just me.  Especially my husband. (he made sure I put that) Not just my kids.  We're ALL WEIRD.  Let me just take the words right out of Pat Robertson's mouth.  Lets cut to the chase.  I'm weird.  Saved by grace. REDEEMED by the KING!

I'll be honest the words of Mr. Robertson cut to my very core.  He wasn't just talking about some woman's precious adopted children he was talking about me, countless friends, and my undeniably AMAZING precious son and daughter who happen to be adopted.

I'm not going to open up about their stories.  I'm not going to talk about their struggles.  I'm not going to discuss their pain.  Their pasts.  Their hurts.  I will say that no matter what happened to them they are loved.  Not just by us but more importantly they are loved by God.  Loved by God SO much that HE would see fit to allow David and I to welcome them into our family.  God allowed US to be part of HIS story.  To parent these kids.  To love them and care for them and walk through their struggles with them.  The SAME way God allowed us to parent our biological children.  We get to walk through their struggles and pain with them too.  You see we're all the same;  Broken messes.

Religion that God our Father Accepts as pure and faultless is this:
to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.
--- James 1:27

We all come with pain, tragedy, loss, and absolutely nothing to offer our Savior.  Despite that God redeems.  He calls us to obey and out of our love for Him we do.  We love others.  We welcome orphans into our homes and call them sons and daughters.  We share the gospel.  We live the gospel.  His faithfulness to us should overwhelm us in such a way that we can't NOT pour out on others.

Mr. Robertson I truly hope you see the platform you have and how you could be using it to bring glory to our King.  You are revered by some and you call yourself a Christian.  You are accountable for your words.  Unfortunately your mouth doesn't match what my bible says.  Consider this a call to repentance.  A call to right your wrongs and a call to speak up BOLDLY for those who have no voice instead of speaking false hoods.  You can change your course with the help of Jesus, some repentance, and much grace.

God sets the lonely in families.
--- Psalm 68:6


Its unfortunate you don't know my kids.  You don't know my friends.  You don't know the impact a family has on children who don't have them.  God designed adoption.  Jesus was adopted by Joseph.  We were adopted into the family of God.  How can you possibly speak against the very things close to the heart of God?

Do not be afraid, for I am with you;
I will bring your children from the east and gather you from the west.
I will say to the north, `Give them up!' and to the south, `Do not hold them back.'
Bring my sons from afar and my daughters from the ends of the earth--
--- Isaiah 43: 5-6 


REDEMPTION is a beautiful thing!


1 comment:

The B Family said...

Love this post, Erica. The world needs much more weird. Love you and love that our family gets to be weird alongside yours!
xoxo